If you are enjoying the company of a fluffy friend, no doubt you have asked yourself this question – How often should you bathe a cat?
First, let’s start with Do cats need a bath?
The answer is that it’s not necessary for cats to be given a bath. They are cleaning machines, capable of bathing themselves. Do you wonder how often cats bathe themselves? Actually, cats spend half of the time grooming themselves with their tongue! They like to stay clean and often groom after their meal.
Are you supposed to give cats baths?
There are some exceptional circumstances and occasions where you need to bathe your feline friend.
Obesity – In this case, it’s necessary to bathe your cat because it cannot reach its rear end. Also, when your cat is getting older, as it might gain more weight, it doesn’t groom up that much anymore.
Outdoor cats – these cats need to bathe more often because they get dirty more than the indoor cats and can also pick up germs and smells.
Health reasons – If your kitty suffers from fleas, lice, mites, parasites, or even loose stool, you must bathe it.
Activity level – if it’s highly active, it gets dirtier very often.
Can I bathe my cat every week?
Only if it’s recommended by the vet. It is definitely not good to bathe your cat every week. Why? – Because if you do that, they will lose the good bacteria and the natural oils which will result in rashes and skin infections for the cat.
How often should you bathe a long-haired cat?
Longer coats need to be groomed more often than the shorter ones. These cats require regular brushing to maintain the cat hair clean and at the same time to avoid forming mats. It is recommended to give your kitty a bath every 2-3 months with a lot of brushing and combing afterward.
How often should you bathe a cat with fleas?
You should bathe your cat once in 4 to 6 weeks, especially if your feline friend is a very active and outdoor cat. However, it also depends on how often you bathe your cat on a regular basis. Also, make sure you use a special shampoo for fleas.
How often should you bathe a cat with dandruff?
If your cat has dandruff in her coat, you must avoid bathing very often or no more than once in 2 months. The reason behind that is that the skin gets very dry.
Why do cats hate baths?
Baths for cats are most likely a very stressful experience, they are becoming very agitated. So, in order not to put your cat in a traumatic experience while you give her a bath, you must be careful.
How to make bath time less stressful for your kitty?
- Start with bathing when your cat is very young and make it a regular thing.
- Make sure you have everything ready: a shampoo, a rubber mat, a few towels, a brush, a washcloth, a floating toy, and a few small buckets with water.
- Clip your cat’s claws a day before so you can prevent any scratches.
- Brush your cat before the bath.
- You might want to use your kitchen sink or a plastic bucket as it’s more comfortable for you and your cat too.
- If you are giving a bath to your cat in the bathroom, make sure you close the lid of the toilet bowl and close the door.
- It is very important for the bath area to be warm and draft-free and also avoid running water because it can be very scary for cats.
- Play with them before the bath, put them in a good mood.
- Avoid washing their head and put cotton wool for their ears.
- If you believe that it might have come to contact with some toxic substances before you bathe your cat, first take them to the vet.
- Last but not least, always keep reassuring and calm your cat throughout the process.
Some cats really enjoy bathing, but some not that much, so you must be very patient! If your cat really hates it and you cannot make it enjoyable even a little, you can always go to a professional groomer that has the knowledge and the experience and will know how to deal with your feline friend.
And always remember, a clean cat is a happy cat!