Who can resist the biggest cats in the world – Maine Coon cats?
For a reason, they are called the “gentle giants”. Maine Coon cats are big cats and even though they may seem aggressive these cats are actually very loving. You wouldn’t regret getting one of these cats, as Maine Coons are considered to be family pets. If you have kids and be concerned about them living with a cat, don’t worry. Maine Coon cats simply love kids and enjoy spending time with them.
If you are one of the people who love Maine Coons, or you’re interested in adopting a Maine Coon, read more information about them in this article. Here are 6 facts that you need to know:
- Maine Coon cats are huge! On average, female Maine coons can grow up to 10 to 14 inches in height and weigh from 3.6 kg to 5.4kg. Male cats are even bigger and reach the size of 12 to 16 inches in height, and 5.9 kg to 8.2 kg in weight.
- These cats are friendly and love children and other pets. They are very loyal and playful and also very vocal. Not only will they love your children, but they will get along well with other pets in your home. If you already have one cat, don’t hesitate to get a Maine Coon too.
- Most Maine Coon cats are polydactyl cats. In other words, they have extra toes. However, when they became recognized show cats they were largely bred out.
- They live long. Maine Coon’s life expectancy is from 12 to 15 years. Also, if you tend to keep your cat indoors, this will extend their lifespan.
- They don’t require too much grooming. These cats are mainly outdoor cats and they are developed as self-sufficient. Their coat is with long fur that is water-repellent and keeps them warm.
- Maine Coon can be in any color. Even though people believe that Maine Coons are mainly brown tabby, they can actually be white, black, cream, or mixed.
Catman loves this type of cats and very often features them on his page on Facebook. If you own a Maine Coon, feel free to share photos or videos of them here or on Facebook.